It’s sad to realize that the summer season is winding down, but Labor Day is indeed here already. That means a farewell to pool parties and summer hours — but heralds the arrival of the Labor Day holiday sales extravaganza, when many stores offer special discounts on summer clothing and accessories and end-of-season furniture and housewares.
“If you’re on the lookout for clothing, it might be a good weekend to snatch up late-season apparel, a lot of which you can easily transition into a fall wardrobe,” says Lindsay Sakraida, features director for dealnews.com. Also, “keep an eye out for Labor Day coupons that will take an extra discounts [on] existing markdowns, which are popular for the holiday weekend.” Sakraida points out that the current round of coupons can bring as much as an extra 35% off reduced prices: “In many cases they aren’t the best coupons we’ve seen from these stores, but they sweeten existing sales.”
Here’s a round-up of some specific deals from major retailers this Labor Day. In general, sales begin Saturday and end on Monday, September 5, unless otherwise noted below.
- Amazon Beauty store: Spend $20 and save 25% promotion on select Johnson & Johnson items from Aveeno, Neutrogena, Clean & Clear, RoC, oral care brands (Listerine, Rembrandt, Reach), wound care (Band-Aid, J&J and Neosporin). The sale runs for a week starting on Sunday, September 4.
- PCA is featuring the Zeo Personal Sleep Coach for $149 (reg. 199) from Thursday, September 1 through Friday, September 9.
- Amazon Student: Buy $50 in qualifying textbooks and get $5 in MP3s.
- Jewelry sale: Get an extra 30% off necklaces, earrings, bracelets and rings.
- Up to 50% off medical books, including references, test prep aids, pocket guides, manuals, etc. Find all sale titles here.
- Free $5 eGift card when you purchase any Madden NFL12 video game. Offer ends September 13.
- Receive a $15 eGift Card when you purchase or rent $150 worth of new or used print textbooks — only at bn.com while supplies last. Offer ends September 9, 2011 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern.
- 30-50% off fine jewelry
- 20% off watches
- Garmin GPS on sale for $199 (originally $299)
- Buy 1 get 1 free on men’s suits (Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Geoffrey Beene, Kenneth Cole, Van Heusen, Alfani and Club Room)
- 10% off Macy’s entire home store
- 60% off bedding (Hotel, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger)
- 50% off luggage
Like Macy’s, JCPenney is featuring a wide variety of sales for the whole family:
- For kids: Okie Dokie mix-and-match tops or bottoms for $5.99 (orig. $11.99)
- For teens: 50% off T’s for him and her; City Streets colored denim for $17.99 (orig. $38); Southpole and Arizona guys polos for $9.99 (orig. $25-30)
- For dorm: Twin-pack bed pillows for $7.99 (reg. $19.99) and jcpHome twin sheets for $17.99 (reg. $40)
- For women: 40% off dress shoes for her from brands including Worthington, Nine & Co., Studio Paolo and more
- For men: 55% off men’s sport coats
- For home: Philippe Richard 16-piece nonstick cookware set for $49.99 (reg. $124.99) and 40% to 50% off all furniture and mattresses
The home improvement chain is offering 10% off all appliances $397 or more purchased online. Many appliances have already been reduced, so the 10% discount is an added savings. Purchases included free delivery. The deals include:
- Maytag 25.3 Stainless Steel Refrigerator on sale for $988.20 (originally $1699). Save another 10% for a total of $889.38.
- GE Adora 30-inch Self-Cleaning Freestanding Electric Convection Range in Stainless Steel for $808.20 (originally $999). Save another 10% for a total price of $727.38.
- Admiral 6.5-cubic-foot Super Capacity Electric Dryer for $298 (originally $349). Save another 10% for a total of $268.20.
- 20% off Char-Broil grills
- 15% off Troy Bilt snowblowers
- 15% off Energy Star qualified appliances $397 or more
- 10% off other major appliances $397 or more
- Bennett Dining Table for $1099.99 (was $1499)
- Lowell Mirror Drop Chandelier for 299.99 (was $399)
- Stamped Teapot for $19.99 (was $49)
- PB Classic Towels for $3.99 to $9.99 (were $8 to $16)
- Gap Outlet: Get 70 percent of select styles and purchase select men’s and women’s sweaters for $14.99. Use this coupon and earn another 20% off purchases of $75 or more.
- Banana Republic Factory Store: Take another 40% off the entire store, including clearance items. And when you use this coupon you can take an additional 20% off purchases of $100 or more.
- Baby Sale: Save on car seats, cribs, strollers and high chairs. Offers runs online starting Thursday, September 1 through Saturday, September 3 and in-stores Sunday, September 4 through Saturday, September 10.
- TV Sale Event: Find discounts of 10% to 20% on 10″ to 60″ flatscreen TVs through Saturday, September 10.
- Patio Furniture: Price cuts of 5%-20% off select patio furniture
- 5%-20% off select Halloween costumes
- Get 15% off furniture and rug purchases of $125 or more. Some exclusions apply.
- 35% off Samsung High Efficiency Top Load washer and dryer for $649.99 each (originally $999.99 each)
- 20% off select Samsung High Efficiency Front Load washer and dryer for $559.99 to $719.99 each (originally $699.99 to $899.99 each)
- 20% off Maytag Top Load washer and dryer for $399.99 each (originally 499.99 each)
- 30% off select Samsung refrigerators
Farnoosh Torabi is a personal finance author, expert, and television host. She recently wrapped SoapNet’s new series, Bank of Mom and Dad, coaching young women struggling with debt. Her first book, You’re So Money: Live Rich Even When You’re Not, helps young adults earn financial independence. Her upcoming book, Psych Yourself Rich, gives readers the mindset and behavior for building a strong financial foundation. The New York Times calls her advice, “perfectly practical.” Learn more about her at www.farnoosh.tv, and follow her on Twitter.